After your vasectomy procedure, you will be given one semen testing kit to make sure that your vasectomy procedure has been successful.
To make sure that your vasectomy procedure has been successful, we need to test your semen in a laboratory.
After your vasectomy procedure, you will be given one semen testing kit. The kit will come with instructions and a return envelope.
You need to give one semen sample 12 weeks after your vasectomy.
Before you give your sample, you need to have had at least 20 ejaculations since the vasectomy. This is to make sure there is no sperm, or very few sperm remaining in the tubes.
We recommend at least 2 - 3 ejaculations per week before you give your sample.
If your test results are not clear, you may need to give further samples. Our results team will discuss this with you.
We will write to you to confirm that your vasectomy has been successful.
Remember: until you receive confirmation, you should use another form of contraception to prevent pregnancy.
Semen sample testing instructions
- Do not have sex or masturbate for a full 48 hours before giving your sample. You should refrain from sex and masturbation for at least 2 days before your sample, but no more than 7 days before collecting your sample.
- You must make sure that all the ejaculate is collected in the sample pot provided. You can ejaculate directly and fully into the pot, or ejaculate into the special condom provided and empty its entire contents into the sample pot. Dispose of the condom. Do not include it in the sample pot or the sample will not count and you should do it again.
- When all the semen is in the sample pot, screw the lid on tightly and write your full details on the pot. If you do not fill out your details or include the date of your ejaculation on the pot, the laboratory will be unable to use it and you must send another sample.
- Put the sample pot into the larger transport container to protect it in the post.
- Fill out your details on the laboratory slip and ensure that it states your name, date of birth, centre, full date of ejaculation and client number. You must also state the number of days abstinent before sample collection and confirm the complete collection of all ejaculate in the sample pot. You must also sign the declaration. If you are unsure of any of these details, give us a call.
- Put the laboratory slip and the transport container into the plastic envelope and seal it. Put it back into the prepaid laboratory envelope, making sure it is well sealed before posting.
We will contact you to let you know your results after we have received your sample. If you do not hear from us within 5 days of sending your sample, please call us on 0345 300 0212.
You will receive a negative result if the test shows that your semen is free from sperm. Occasionally, you may have persistent sperm. This means that a very low number of sperm continues to be present in your semen. This does not always mean that your vasectomy has been unsuccessful. If this happens we will discuss this with you.
If we need you to produce further semen samples, we will send you additional kits. We will contact you again when all additional samples have been received and analysed.
Semen testing costs
We can test your semen for you after your procedure, at any point in the future.
The vasectomy semen testing costs for this differ, depending on whether you originally had your procedure with MSI Reproductive Choices, or elsewhere:
- For re-assurance in the future we can offer re-check semen postal test - £30
- Re-check semen test for non-MSI Reproductive Choices clients - £40
How to get a NHS-funded vasectomy treatment?
If you would like to have an NHS-funded vasectomy with MSI Reproductive Choices UK, your GP will need to fill out a referral form and send it to us. In some areas of the country you are able to refer yourself without seeing your GP first. You can call us, or your GP surgery, to see if you can self-refer.
Private Vasectomy Treatments
Private vasectomy appointments are also available. You do not need to contact your GP if you wish to have a private vasectomy treatment: just call us on 0345 300 0212 to make an appointment.
Get in touch to know more
You can always call us for a confidential chat. Use our dedicated vasectomy phone line on: 0345 300 0212.