At MSI Reproductive Choices UK, we love hearing from our colleagues about their passion for providing essential healthcare services, and ensuring that people across England can exercise their sexual and reproductive rights.
We interviewed Ben Tallis – Client Care Coordinator at our call centre in Bristol – about how they support our clients from the very first moment that they get in touch with our call centre.
“It is such a great reward to elevate people in times of adversity.”
When and why did you start working for MSI Reproductive Choices UK?
I started working for MSI UK because I wanted to go home from work every day knowing that I am making a difference by doing my job. I have been very lucky to have had very strong and courageous women and non-binary folk shape my life. These people have shown resilience in some of the most impossible situations. Working for MSI is so rewarding because I know that we get to empower people to have that same resilience that inspired me growing up.
Can you tell me a bit more about your role?
My role is a Client Care Coordinator. We are essentially the first contact someone accessing our services will have in their journey. A great deal of our time we will be on the end of the phone arranging appointments, connecting people with nurses and healthcare professionals, showing empathy and providing information. We also show this same support over MSI’s amazing webchat service.
What would you say is your favourite part of the job?
For me personally, it is hearing first-hand that what we do as an organisation is a lifeline to so many. It is such a great reward to elevate people in times of adversity.
What makes you proud of the work that you do?
We know that people feel a range of emotions when it comes to having an abortion. Whilst most people feel a huge sense of relief, some people can be made to feel ashamed – but working for an abortion provider, it feels amazing to let people know that they are supported in the decisions they make about their own body. Being that first initial support is the proudest part of my job.
What would you say to someone who feels like they’re alone in this situation?
We often get asked how common abortion is, from people from various walks of life. The answer is that it is very common and not something to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. It is an important decision that you need to make for yourself and you are definitely not alone. There are thousands of people out there in similar situations making these choices and we are here to support you regardless of what that decision may be.
What do you want others to know about what it means to be an abortion provider?
Access to abortion care should always be an option if it is needed. We are not here in any way to tell people what choices to make when they discover they are pregnant. We are here to help empower people to make the decision that is right for them.
Thank you to our frontline colleagues for your bravery, your sacrifices and your unflagging compassion.
Sharing our stories
Sharing stories is at the heart of ending the stigma that too many women and pregnant people still feel when it comes to abortion.
If you want to read stories from our clients, follow this link: “Abortion stories from our clients”
If you have a story to share, there are a number of ways you can get in touch with us:
- You can use our dedicated online form at the link: “Share Your Story“
- You can email us at email@example.com
- You can DM us on our social media channels: MSI Reproductive Choices UK (Facebook) or MSI Choices (Instagram)
Read more from our colleagues
At MSI UK, we love interviewing our colleagues to find out more about their work and how their roles contribute to our mission to deliver quality reproductive healthcare. Below, you can read some of our latest interviews:
- Why making a difference is a real privilege – Interview with Ailish McEntee, MSI UK Named Midwife for Safeguarding Adults and Children, about safeguarding at MSI UK, and how we care for and support our clients.
- “All I have ever wanted to do is help, so to be able to help someone in their decision makes me proud every day and that will never change.” – Interview with Angela Gale, Registered Midwife at our Maidstone clinic, about why she is proud to be a midwife in abortion care.
- “I have never felt more like a midwife than I do in this role.” – Interview with Grace Louisa Ash, MSI UK Practice Development and Advocacy Midwife, about what being a midwife and an advocate for nurses and midwives across England means to her.
- “Being a part of MSI and helping so many people access care feels amazing.” – Interview with Sarah Salkeld, Associate Clinical Director at MSI UK, about contraception services at MSI UK, and the importance of having the choice to access contraception.
- “I’ve never felt more like a midwife than I do here.” – Interview with Giselle Barnes, Clinical Services Matron at our Bristol clinic, about what being a midwife in abortion care means to her.
- “If it’s your body, it’s your choice.” – Interview with Stephanie Pérez, Regional General Manager in Sussex, about how she supports our clients within her role.
Careers at MSI Reproductive Choices UK
At MSI Reproductive Choices, we are looking for pro-choice and passionate professionals to join us in our mission.
MSI Reproductive Choices employs over 500 people in the United Kingdom alone, all of whom are dedicated to delivering the highest quality abortion and vasectomy care.
We know that our most valuable assets are the people that work for us. By joining MSI Reproductive Choices, you’ll become part of a committed team that work to make sure we provide the best possible care and support to our clients.
If you are interested in a career at MSI UK, find our current open positions here: Join Our Team